Search the forum,

Discuss condemed boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpm1982

Hi hope you can help me, i had a heatline combi boiler installed in may 2007 by a corgi registered a firm based in Glasgow. Although i recieved a corgi declaration of safety certificate, i have been advised by a British Gas engineer that my boiler has been installed incorrectly. The British Gas engineer was doing a first service on a new insurance polcy and deemed the boiler unsafe.This is due to the boiler overflow pipe being installed directly over my downstair neighbours front door. i have tried to contact the company with no success and was looking for some help

Last edited by a moderator:
when you say 'overflow pipe'...if you are referring to a copper pipe (pressure relief pipe) than this needs to be run to location where should any water discharge from it (which would lickley be scolding hot) this could not potentially cause harm....this can be run to floor level.
if you are referring to the white pipe (condense pipe) then ideally this needs to be run to a drain or into a plastic soil pipe.
both quite easy straight forward jobs which your installer should return to put right.
if it is the 1st, and your installer refuses to correct the work you could threaten to RIDDOR report.

you say you received the certificate saying boiler registered

you hopefully have their corgi registration number

This number hopefully has been transfered to the new gas safe register that has taken over from corgi,go to their site and check name/number and see if still in use/trading ,if so all their contact details will be there

Is your gas engineer on the Gas Safe register?

Advise you require works corrected,if not resolved ,contact gas safe about situation

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply!! the firm are not currently registered with gas safe. any ideas on what to do next

thanks in advance

Give gas safe a ring and they'll give you all the advice and help you need.

Companys like this need a good kicking.

You don't need Gas Safe. they won't fix it for you or do anything about it. See a plumber to alter the pipe to the side and down to the groundn or do it yourself. It won't cost much to do.

If you want to do it yourself you will need
2 3m lengths 15mm copper
2 15mm compression bends
half a dozen 15mm pipe clips (stand off's)
A few 2" 8's and some rawlplugs
A junior hacksaw, a drill and borrow a set of grips or adjustable spanner and a ladder.
Cost of the materials = less then 20 quid.

Cut the pipe coming out the wall approx 20mm out.
Fit a compression bend to the cut pipe pointing to the side (whichever side you prefer) and tighten slightly.
Measure from the bend to a suitable distance past the door, about 1m should do.
Cut the pipe to size and fit to previous bend.
Level with a slight downward run, mark each side of the pipe near the centre and drill a hole put in a rawlplug and fit a clip and fit pipe to clip. (If you are going much more than 1m to the side you will need more clips suitably spaced)
Tighten bend a bit more. (It doesn't matter if it is completely watertight)
Measure from end of new pipe to 6" above ground and cut pipe to size.
Fit with bend to pipes and tighten slightly.
Plumb pipe and mark each side where you want a clip i.e. 6" from top and bottom and 2 more at equal spacing.
Drill and plug and fit clips.
Fit pipe to clips then tighten bend a bit more.
Take a picture of your first plumbing job to show the weans. ;)

Job done in less time than it took to explain this.

The buildings name is not the one you probably should be looking for but the gas plumber who installed it,check the log book and cert to see if datails/number in there

a blow off over a door is a not to current standards or at risk, at most its not a i.d situation i think the b.g engineer has over reacted and gas safe will say the same thing as the man said get bit of copper an extend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to condemed boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock