Search the forum,

Discuss Checking a plumbers qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sali

Hi
Is it possible to check a plumber's qualifications prior to him/her starting work? It's all very well telling me that they have an NVQ in this and that, but where's the proof? Are or will plumbers be required to carry a photo id card with details on showing where the customer can validate their expertise? A bit like gas safety.
I note that there has been some posters knocking rogue customers, but most of us would pay willingly if a job was quoted accurately and done well.

good question with caution really.

my uncle is 77years old and still does plumbing for the fun of it / work-a-holic really x-soldier. there is nothing he dosnt know and you know what....
he has not got a single paper qualification yet he proberbly the best plumber around these parts and well known too.

along comes joe-blogs qualified last week with an nvq round their neck and new uniform and flash van, who would you employ to do the job?.:rolleyes:

One of the best was to check is to look at their hands and tools, and the way they dress

Nice softish hands, clean nails with no chipped nails, and nice shiny new tools = newby

Hands rough dirty nails etc, tools dirty and rusty = chancer

Hands roughish and hard skin, nails a bit dirty and chipped, tools clean and workmanlike = possibly a good plumber

The qualifications wont gaurentee anything.
Better to tell potential plumber your concerns about quality and ask him to talk you through the job. That gives him or her the chance to show their confidence and honesty.

You can ask for proof that they are covered to work in your home insurance wise. They should have a cert or letter proving they have insurance.

Agree with the tools comment. If theyve invested in decent tools and look after them they proberly take their work seriously too.

your best bet is to speak to people who have used a plumber recently, because you cant beat recommendation.
I do not advertise because all my work comes through recommendation,
As redsaw says some of us did in house apprentiships and dont have any papers for plumbing, and I often wonder if I shouldnt gain some paper qualifications, now where did i put me stetson

regards
Mike

Last edited:
One of the best was to check is to look at their hands and tools, and the way they dress

Nice softish hands, clean nails with no chipped nails, and nice shiny new tools = newby

Hands rough dirty nails etc, tools dirty and rusty = chancer

Hands roughish and hard skin, nails a bit dirty and chipped, tools clean and workmanlike = possibly a good plumber

that is rediclous yet funny.

I think i qualify in a cross between a chancer and possibly a good plumber.

What if the plumber is a lady plumber, do these rules still apply?:eek:

As said best way is recommendation. Usually if they are gas safe register, they will also have level 3 nvq. But if its not somebody who is recommended, its luck of the draw

Hi Ask the plumber for the phone numbers and addresses of existing/ previous clients, give them a ring and get feed back. Good Luck

Umm, so I check his hands. OK. Then the tools. I wouldn't know a top of the range adjustable spanner from one bought it Wilkinsons to be honest. I have yet to find anyone who would recommend a plumber, (there's always a horror story), and I have yet to discover a plumber whom I would recommend to others.

The cert for insurance is a good idea. If you ask for references how would you know that you are not being set up? Cynical yes.

In answer to Redsaw77, I know that so many of the older generation have more practical skills and DIY knowledge than this one. Still, how do I, the consumer, protect myself against all the cowboys.

Pot luck.

Finding a good tradesman is quite easy but time consuming.

To find a plumber first ask friends/neighbours for recommendations and ask if they would have the person around again. If they know of someone skip the next two paragraphs.

If asking a friend doesn't help then you need to ask your electrician or builder or whoever.

The better builders, electricians, carpenters, plumbers and so on tend to know each other and will also know who on their patch is good and who isn't. A plumber who leaves leaks behind won't be asked by the builder to do anymore work for the builder. A builder won't take on an electrician who puts customers off because he swears. They all have their reputations to look after.

Having found your plumber, get him to do a small job first (e.g. fix a loo or change a washer). If you like him, hire him again. If you don't you've only "lost" a small amount and little time, so you need to look again. Exactly the same for the electrician. Find a small job and if he's good, hire him.

In most areas there are 2-3 gangs of construction people who know and work well with each other and find each other jobs. Once you find these sorts, qualifications are irrelevant as the building inspectors also get to know who's good and can be trusted and, ultimately, will sign projects off without checking with a fine toothed comb.

I think if I am honest when doing any business transaction both parties need to be aware of what is and what isnt being done. Bathrooms boilers and larger jobs it needs to be in writing and to be 100% accuarate.

I am new to this trade and I am careful with what I take on, for my sake and the potential customer. I dont want a bad name so I have nothing to hide and I am happy to admit to customers of me being new to the industry.

I agree about the tools though dirty rusty tools take no pride in his work, I clean and oil my tools every other week, do they look new? no chance. Gut instinct is a good tool as well.

Hi sali, get a plumber through recomendation, its worth more than a look at thier Nvq certs. I went to college with a couple of plumbers whol ilke me "passed" thier NVQ 2,3, but I wouldnt trust them to pour me a beer let alone work in my house.

Hi Sali!

If you where going to employ a Plumber as an employee. The Plumber would have to show you proof of ability. The JIB for Plumbing Mechancial Engineers issues its members with a grade card. Which basically says what they should be capable of doing. If they are not members, they should be able to give you a track record which you can check up on.

when you hire a plumber ask for references .plumbing in the uk is no longer a trade anyone can call themselves a plumber.2/4/9/week master plumber course.gaurenteed pass,bpec and c@g certificates not worth paper they are printed on.over the last two years i have had to put right many instalations instaled by fast track plumbers,some of the ones on unvented cylinders showed that they were a sleep when they did the course and cant read the instructions supplied with the cylinder.it is a fact there have allways been chancers in the plumbing industry because it is unregulated but over the last few years it has become worse,lots of paper but very little experience.check the plumbers previoses clients references .ask if you can see some of his work ,and when you look at it ,good plumbing useualy looks good,bits of plastic pipework /copper pipework running at all angles may work but shows plumber does not care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Checking a plumbers qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock