Search the forum,

Discuss Changing my hourly rate - please take a look if you're a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
sorry answered my own question.

Last edited:
Hi. Showing your hand when playing cards makes people fold. If you post your rate on site, others in competition can post £44 per hour and so on. Why not write a script for the Misses, crafted in such a way you at least get your foot in the door. Unless things have changed? Most call outs are to rectify the immediate problem say 30 minuets. Then give a price for the longer term solution. With out mentioning hourly rate. I have found people like to have a budget figure prior to committing them selves.

justlead - thankyou very much for the advise. I decided to call my father, who's been a plumber man and boy and get his advise, it was the same as yours. I mean, exactly the same as yours!

I've decided to keep my rate to myself and not publish it on the new website. (I will post a link when it's up next week for anyone here who's interested to take a look).

The thing is, I'm getting more and more call out work and less bathroom renovation, full heating installs etc. I think its a sign of the economy, that people aren't spending unless they have to. Anyway, they always ask, 'what do you charge' and frankly I've outlaid so much recently on renewall of my ACS, extra appliances, tools, and my website, that I feel I deserve to put my rate up. It's a hard thing to do in a recession, but I have spent thousands of pounds to get where I am in my career.

After saying all this, I just did a charity job for an elderly lady who called as I was driving home! Only took me ten mins, but I need to toughen up. I suppose you can't always charge like a wounded rhino!

Hi Thanks for your kind words. In the scare culture that prevails, the gas side of things is worth promoting. Not least of all for the cost of maintaining certification and doing enough to remember how, although poncing about with combi boilers is not my cup of tea. Good Luck

I find it impossible to charge much to old people. If I turn up and they live in a humble little place and are clearly very old I struggle to ask for £20. Frankly I'd prefer if they didn't call me.

I'll tell you something I've started doing, others will laugh but I've started adding a hidden 5% 'tool tax' onto the invoice. Of course this does not show up on the receipt and is only an extra £3.25 on say a £65.00 bill.

I've spent quite a few quid this year on powertools and every penny you can claw back all adds up.

Not a bad idea Phil. I've spent a fortune on tools over the years. This year was no exception, loads of my stuff was nicked off site in Feb...I'd taken tool cover off my insurance when I renewed it in Jan....silly boy.

And to Watertight, I don't think we're alone. I had one job when the client wasn't there, she sent her mum to meet me. The old girl made me a nice cup of tea with bickies and I reset her wireless thermostat, no charge, five mins work. Her daughter has given me other work since then and I've had work from her neighbours. I didn't plan it, just a nice coincidence.

Though I must toughen up. A good friend of mine is also a plumber. He's also a lot better off than me. He says of these old girls,
'they're husband worked his fingers to the bone, then died and didn't get to enjoy it, so I charge em full whack and enjoy it for him'!! I don't think I could be that heartless, but he drives a flash motor and has a big pad. Swine. He is a grafter too though.

Hi. Another way to get an extra shilling is the mileage charge. At say 46 p a mile. Although it may not be expected is defenable .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing my hourly rate - please take a look if you're a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock