Search the forum,

Discuss central heating permanently on, faulty motor? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My central heating won't turn off via the wireless thermostat. I can see that it communicates correctly so suspected a problem with the zone valve. It is a Honeywell 2 port and I notice the manual level is completely loose and I can't lock it in the manual 'on' mode. We have other zones and those valves are stiff when off but can be manually moved to 'on'. I thought it might be an problem with the motor so I have replaced the synchron motor but it did not resolve the issue. Does this mean that the zone valve is faulty and needs replacing and if so is this best left to a professional (as you have probably guessed I am a complete amateur).

Attached a photo of the valve and also the motor I took out which around the cog had a brown thick stain on it which was suspicious. Any ideas?
Not a massive problem at the moment as can turn the rads off but would like to fix it.
motor3.jpg
motor2.jpg

Do you have a multimeter? If so some simple checks will show you where the feed is coming from.
Most likely valve body seized in open position keeping end switch contacting, could take head off valve and see if spindle is free.

Replace the whole power head or if possible the whole valve the linkage wears on them and fails to activate the micro switch when eithier calling for heat or when its satisfied so just stays on . Kop

That's the hot water motorised valve. Or is the picture just for effect?
That was just to show the brown stain on the cog, not sure how it got there but quite gooey.
[automerge]1591954664[/automerge]
Do you have a multimeter? If so some simple checks will show you where the feed is coming from.
Most likely valve body seized in open position keeping end switch contacting, could take head off valve and see if spindle is free.
Thanks, is the spindle the lever thing sticking out? When I have removed the motor it seemed to shut the valve but once I put the new motor in when I tested it and it opened it wouldn't shut again. Do I need to drain the system in order to take the head off?
[automerge]1591954716[/automerge]
By the look of the motor it needs a new complete valve. Is it a sealed system?
It is a sealed system, guessing that is not a DIY job to replace the valve?
[automerge]1591954768[/automerge]
Replace the whole power head or if possible the whole valve the linkage wears on them and fails to activate the micro switch when eithier calling for heat or when its satisfied so just stays on . Kop
Thanks, sounds like it does need a replacement then.
[automerge]1591955094[/automerge]
Appreciate the advice - sounds like a new valve/power head. I see that Honeywell part is around ÂŁ50, do you know what's the ballpark for a plumber to fit it. It's a four bed semi, sealed system. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks, is the spindle the lever thing sticking out? When I have removed the motor it seemed to shut the valve but once I put the new motor in when I tested it and it opened it wouldn't shut again. Do I need to drain the system in order to take the head off?

The "lever thing" you mention is the manual open and fill lever. The spindle is the shaft from motor to the valve assembly inside and can be accessed by undoing a couple screws in the actuator head and removing it from the top.
You don't need to drain down to take the head off and access the spindle, although i recently had one where the spindle snapped taking the head off which as you can imagine released water from the system, so be careful if you decide to try.
If you decide to replace the whole valve then yes you will need to drain down. Electrically its easy enough but thats probably best left to someone who's familiar with it.

Reply to central heating permanently on, faulty motor? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 4 zone / 7 loop UFH system. 2 zones (4 loops) always get hot when the system is on when the zone thermostats and actuators are off. The video posted shows when I turn on another zones the flow meters drop. (Kitchen prep and kitchen TV are the issue, two at either end of the...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock