Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating in a garden outhouse... in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I am building a single storey outhouse at the bottom of my garden and I want to install two radiators in there. I’m just trying to ascertain whether it will be feasible to just connect them to my existing central heating circuit in the main house?

My current boiler is a Vaillant ecoTec plus 832. The outhouse will be approx 20 metres from the main house. I would like the rads in the outhouse to be K2’s @ 1800 x 600 and 400 x 600. In the main house I currently have 12 rads. The house is a 4 bed semi with a utility room and GF and FF bathrooms.

So my main issue is whether running the central heating pipes 20 metres to the extra 2 rads in the outhouse building will be too much of a stretch for my existing boiler to handle?

Any advice is very much appreciated so I can work out the best solution.

Thanks again.

In winter pipes may freeze.
Cheers Pete. Yes, I had considered that. I planned to put lagging round them, then also possibly run the pipes through a rain water pipe with rock wool inside the pipe aswell.
The reason I’m seeking other opinions is because I’ve had a couple of hearing engineers look at the scenario. One has said the boiler will cope fine. Another has said it may struggle. I don’t know who’s advice to trust. I’m a builder myself so I’m just trying to find the best solution.
Thanks again.

As above and make an allowance to install a second pump to service the out house.
Wire it in with the thermostat or the zone valve for the outhouse.

Slightly left field, but it may be necessary to get heat out there.

You would need to bury the pipes 2'6" below ground to avoid Frost.

If that's the plan, I personally would do as both @SimonG and @oz-plumber suggested but also incorporate a low loss header or plate heat exchanger to prevent the extra pump from effecting the existing system. Someone experienced needs to see it really.

If those are the only 2 rads you are using, it sounds like it is around 3 Kw?

Is it not easier to use electric heaters or a Drugasar gas wall heater (other makes are available). You could possibly run one of those on propane if you didn't want to run gas down there.
The Dru heaters have a built in stat and don't require wiring unless you plan to use an electric time switch (true for last time I installed them).

Nows the time to increase the amount of insulation you were going to use (say add 100 +mm insulation board internally inc roof) so your left with less than 1.5 kw or less to heat building which you can easily manage with a couple of slim oil filled panel rads. The outbuilding will be more comfortable in the summer too without any need for any especially large electrical provision.

Insulate the hell out of the place floor walls ceiling with 100mm of celotex at construction stage , then use electric timed panel heaters , are you having a toilet and small basin a kitchen sink with the need for hotwater ?? You must consult a electrician before doing anything, personally I wouldn't connect it to the house gas boiler the pipe run and install costs just wouldn't be make it viable

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201211-014001.png
    Screenshot_20201211-014001.png
    579.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think you will find that Building Regulations, require the pipes to be within a preinsulated pipe with an outer wrapping. The pipe is not cheap and neither are the fittings - but they work very well

Reply to Central heating in a garden outhouse... in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock