Search the forum,

Discuss Cannot stop slow leak... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm trying to finishing plumbing in a shower valve but there's one fitting that I just cannot seem to get to stop leaking (albeit very slowly...two single drops in 24 hours).

I've changed fittings three times, I first used PTFE tape and now jointing compound but still can't get it to stop. Any ideas

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 88
Do you know the correct way to put ptfe tape on.

The wrong way it leaks, no matter how much you put on.

If using a brass olive try replacing it with a copper one, sometimes the brass ones are to hard to squeeze down.

Perhaps I put the tape on the wrong way? Is there such a thing as using too much tape? I guess I need to remove the compound first?

Maybe better off scratching the fitting thread to make it a little rough , then using jointing compound and on top of that loctite obviously as mentioned in the right direction.

Did you use just jointing compound after ptfe ? If so that would leak anywy.

[video=youtube_share;65i2vGWi3AE]http://youtu.be/65i2vGWi3AE[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
What part of the fitting is the leak coming from?
If it is leaking at the male thread that goes into the shower valve, then you need more ptfe tape on it, plus a little paste.
The fitting should feel tight to turn in with a spanner last couple threads. If it doesn't there isn't enough tape

Last edited:
Looks like 1/2" iron to 15mm comp copper fitting bedded right into the cast brass. I'd go with not having enough PTFE if it's dripping from that part. Compression side shouldn't leak if done right. Could possibly be a split in the cast fitting, not unknown. Have you checked that?

I`m with Sparkgap and the split if excessive tape and force has been used, seen it before too often.

Guess it could be a parallel thread and a tapered thread?

the couplers in too far and theres a tapered thread involved?

you need some true-blue

Yes if you register on the loctite website they will send you a freebie Ive used for years

Used it a lot on the commercial stuff and it`s good if both surfaces are clean and dry, wouldn`t cure a split in a component though. Don`t use it with tape either.

I used to use the 572 before they brought this out 95 ish I can honestly say it has never let me down

I used to use the 572 before they brought this out 95 ish I can honestly say it has never let me down

Too many darn Loctite numbers to remember what does what nowadays! lol

Loctite 55 for me all day long, never had a joint even weep with it yet. Domestic, commercial, MCW, DHW, HTG and gas. It does it all and is in a cool container with blade so you don't end up with loads of half unraveled rolls everywhere.

Oh and no I don't work for Loctite lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cannot stop slow leak... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock