Search the forum,

Discuss Business checklist! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flanners

Hi everyone,

Im starting on my own in April after 11 years in the industry.

I have compiled everything that I need to do and have done them all!!......i think. finance, insurance, tools etc etc.

What would be your checklist of things to do? I ask just incase I have missed anything? I would like to compare everyones lists / plans against my own.

Thanks for your time!!!

My advice is ignore all cold calls offering advertising, web, media, google, yahoo, space for an advert in a police or fire brigade magazine.

I had hundreds of the above calls and one or two I fell for! They prey on new businesses and I think they get Infomation from Companies house and the likes of Yell.com and yellow pages. I have had no work from the later.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising but it can take upto 2 years to get established.

Eco
Home page of the Federation of Small Businesses - FSB - The UKs Leading Business Organisation
One other thing look into joining the FSB

keep good records of income/expenditure and dont spend all the dosh coming in before youve paid your suppliers, then if theres any left build a reserve. Keep advertising simple and sweet ie local postcode mags and leave the rest to word of mouth, dont turn down anything as tap washers lead to heating installs if your face fits. Only buy what you can afford toolwise, dont go into debt as its a pig fighting your way out and youll have enough stress working day to day. otherwise enjoy yourself as theres only 2 bosses now, you and the missus

Hi, Just to add to the good points mentioned. When designing the van livery. Let people know you are a local plumber your name is unimportant but the word plumber is.

You remember when you were a child you were told to shut up?

Marketing is the opposite. Now you've got to tell everyone - including everyone - from the postman to the courier (who doesn't know you but just might be asked at his next delivery) to the local shopkeeper to you second aunt and third cousin once removed to your ... if people don't know you're a plumber you'll never be asked to do a job.

I'm meticulous about keeping everything clean and tidy. Other traders take the micky sometimes but just about all my customers tell me how good it is and how they're happy to recommend me. If it's raining, a dust sheet over their door mat and another dust sheet where I'm working. Dustpan and brush used several times in the day. Vacuum at end if necessary. Tools tidied up if they're ending up all over the place. Fixed WC? Out with the bathroom and loo cleaner and clean the whole item. New shower = around 15-20 minutes totally cleaning the bathroom (bath, WC, basin, floor, mirrors, etc).

It doesn't seem to bother them that I sometimes get into a flap or stuck about something as long as I charge a reasonable rate and keep their house as I found or cleaner that I found it!!

Most important of all - make sure you enjoy your job as it's horrible being miserable!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Business checklist! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock