Search the forum,

Discuss Bunded 1000ltr plastic domestic oil tank leaking from inner to outer skin in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, our Bunded 1000ltr plastic domestic oil tank leaking from inner to outer skin, was installed, as part of a new-build, in 2016, to supply a boiler.

When getting it refilled last week, the delivery driver pointed out that the outer skin was bowing out slightly and advised me to check it.

I sent a length of flat mains cable down the gap, between the inner and outer skins, and found that it contained oil to a depth of around 350mm. This is well below the average (over time) depth of the inner tank.

I imagine that when it was installed, the feeder pipe was not securely fitted to the inner skin, and over the years, oil has seeped between the two tanks.

I am presently trying to find out who installed the tank but wondered if anyone had any advice as to how to proceed.

Many thanks

Mike

Oh dear, it will need replacing unless someone on PF knows if it can be repaired but I doubt it.
My first call would be home insurance, then take tank details and get manu to supply details of the supply...if you are very diplomatic you might get some help even tho it’s way beyond legal recourse.
How high or low is the breach...reducing the level of contents might be a safe stop gap.
Centralheatking

You'll not repair it. I would look at warranty on it, what manufacturer is it. Whereabouts are you in the country?

I know harlequin offer a 10 year warranty, if it's been registered and 5 years if not.

Got a picture of it? Warranty might be out the window if not installed properly.

As Simon says you will not repair. If you're lucky a warranty replacement but maybe not. Please note if a new tank is required you may need to make some adjustments to comply with current regulations

Thanks guys, I'm still trying to track down the original installer and the warranty.

Since the leak is 99% likely to be from where the pipe leaves the inner skin, common sense, to my mind at least, dictates that I simply need to tighten the relevant nuts (or whatever you call them :)).

Obviously this would be tricky given where they are, but, given the cost of tank replacement, I felt it worth exploring.

My plan would be:

1. Let the level go down quite a bit,
2. Lower a decent led light into the tank for illumination,
3. Try to tighten the nut using a suitable spanner fixed to a long bar

Seems worth a try. Also, it might be easier to do the same on the other nut, as access would probably be more direct - maybe:)

If you've got a leak to outer bund I suspect you have a split inner bund. If I'm wrong and you are correct about a fitting then it should be a warranty job, providing it was installed correctly

Reply to Bunded 1000ltr plastic domestic oil tank leaking from inner to outer skin in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for any advise, I was called to attend for a tank inspection following a request to the customer from the environment agency who have found traces of heating oil in a local drain off ditch. (The customer is elderly and has recently lost her husband. ) I found it was single skin...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
a few months ago I made an enquiry re a leak in hot water system under the floor preventing central heating working. thanks for help in my last post. The solution was to divert around the leak and install new pipes. The pipes were well hidden and several visits were needed to track the pipe...
Replies
Views
V
Does anyone have any advice on an oil fired system that really stinks out my back hall?? I'm stumped! Apologies for the extreme length of this! The Riello 40 burner/warmflow boiler system has been operating fine for the past year until the tank ran dry in August. I got a fill and pressed the...
Replies
Views
So you just bought or moved into the house, switched on the heating, and only some radiators are completely hot, while others are lukewarm with coldspots in the middle, and the gas/oil bill was massive while most rooms are struggling to reach even 18C and pose a heath risk? The previous...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock