Search the forum,

Discuss Brown water marks on side of house from overflow pipe?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrismacq

Hi All,
This is my first post and I have no idea about boiler/plumbing etc so please excuse any bad terminology....
I recently had my MAINS Combi boiler serviced (Dom&Gen) and the engineer told me that he'd replaced many parts all of which is part of my cover.
but since then a brown water stain has appeared on the side of my (white) house from an overflow pipe?
Is this normal??
Should water be dripping from the pipe when the heating gets turned on?
Cheers
Chris

Water should not be dripping from the pipe as this is a warning pipe telling you that there is something wrong, although is it a constant drip or intermittant?

some of these can only be opened once before they require replacement as they get sangged up.
seems like it has been opened to check its operation quite fairly to someone thorough with their service method but a lot of engineers are wise to the fact this may happen.
if it is letting by then the valve is fouled and requires replacement. if there is just a brown patch this is sludge in the system that has been released when opening the valve.hose it off.

My daughters system was dripping vias the prv valve after a service. As I was having my boiler serviced the next week I arranged for the guy to pop round and take a look with me whilst daughter was at work. (It is half a mile away and he was quite happy to do it on my bill for service).

He fixed it in 5 mins. No charge. I think he was able to flick or lift and drop the valve a few times and that cleared whatever was interfering with the seal. That was 9 months ago and no problems. He said at the time that as soon as you touch them they are prone to problems with the seal.

My daughters system was dripping vias the prv valve after a service. As I was having my boiler serviced the next week I arranged for the guy to pop round and take a look with me whilst daughter was at work. (It is half a mile away and he was quite happy to do it on my bill for service).

He fixed it in 5 mins. No charge. I think he was able to flick or lift and drop the valve a few times and that cleared whatever was interfering with the seal. That was 9 months ago and no problems. He said at the time that as soon as you touch them they are prone to problems with the seal.

Yes they can be tempramental

I always warn the custard whenever I test a PRV because of their tempramentality.......... And now I'm not sure if that's a proper word or not!

if it isn't the americans will make it into one they like new made up words.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Burglarized"

Gets my goat every time............

There! I've even annoyed myself with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brown water marks on side of house from overflow pipe?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi folks. I've noticed recently that water is dripping from my Megaflow overflow pipe outside coinciding with the time the heating turns on to heat the water. Whilst the water is dripping, the pressure on the Megaflow is reading around 8 bar. Dripping from overflow stops and the pressure...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First issue was the pump went faulty, so the pump was replaced. This then led to a new issue coming up where the central heating would work, but not the hot...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock