Search the forum,

Discuss being environmentally aware in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think in the current climate that solar , ground source heat pumps, biomass are the road to go down,or now that the goverment have seen to have pulled the rug from under the installers feet is now a dead end..?

it is certainly less attractive than it was. now it will take years longer to see any real returns especially with PV.

Don't think it"s worth getting involved at the moment mainly because of the MCS side of it, Things might be different if the government ever makes up its mind about the rhi!

In my opinion, any environmental technology is now more or less defunct. RHI, FIT's and the Green Deal may sound like good opportunities and they probably are to the Big companies who are pulling the strings behind the scenes. For the one man band installers it is a futile exercise. Personally I refuse to spend any more money on trying to get accredited for MCS. I trained in Solar PV & Heat Pumps only to have the rug pulled out from under me by the reduction in the tariffs and the unexplainably high energy rating level you need to achieve after April in order to qualify for 21p/kWh. If your home is not at "C" then the proposed FIT will be 9p/kWh. Who is going to invest in that? The RHI is doomed and making people very nervous as the gov has dithered about the rates for commercial installations, certain technologies are unsuitable (how they manage to differentiate between heating your home via the ground or air is beyond me) and the recent cut in FITs has developed a genuine mistrust (and IMO not misguided by any means) in the powers that be.
The Green Deal is supposed to bring us all lots of work upgrading home insulation, heating controls and high efficiency boilers to existing housing stock.. so you would think, but unfortunately in order to qualify to fit under this new scheme you will need to be re-trained and re-accredited to some other new qualification which someone has dreamed up. If I was a suspicious person I would say it probably has something to do with the cosy little meetings the energy companies have been having with DECC. But I dont feel that a public forum would be the place to cast dispersions about our "Honourable Members" would you?
So In closing... no I think it would be a waste of time and I'm personally sticking to fitting gas boilers, although if anyone wants a heat pump fitted outside of the new schemes they are welcome to get in touch.

I beleive in Nuclear power, how else can the planet support 7 billion people?

Agree with CES, another nail in the coffin.
Agree with Phil, nuclear power, before it's too late, although it probably is. I was talking to a bloke who works in energy production who said we are about 10 years behind in nuclear plant construction. He was predicting rationing of electricity, compulsory blackouts, doom and gloom in the coming years.

that's just what we don't want, going back to the seventies power cuts.

I quiet liked the black outs and the 3 day week. We had a coal fire then so could always find something to burn and the telly was just as bad (well maybe not quite) as it is today.

The whole green energy thing is a con to please those who cannot see.

In my opinion the RHI, FITs and other government incentives were subsidies for the rich, who were the only people who could afford this new renewable stuff in the first place.

I've no sensible idea on what is good for the future but I think much more needs to be invested in the boring stuff - insulation. Not as sexy and eco bling like, but we all know that once you have really good insulation you can just about heat a room with a candle.

you're not wrong there tamz. same as global warming just a big lie to make more money off our backs.

So the "general consensus" is...............we are being worked from the back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to being environmentally aware in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the Government in the UK needs to do more to make green energy heat pumps and other green central heating options more affordable for the UK customers...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring, probably not been used until recently now it's colder. When heating is called for, the boiler fires up ok but soon shuts down the heater as the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock