Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 plume smells of unburnt gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there Plumbers Forum,

I have a problem with a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 and am looking for any helpful advice…

The boiler is 15 years old and, according to most, will happily go on another 15. The flue exits in to the side-return area between 2 terraced houses. BUT it now puts out a puff of unburnt gas every time it ignites, and we have new neighbours who are complaining that the gas goes in their bedroom window, only a couple of metres away, and makes them feel ill (the boiler doesn’t run at night but they work odd shifts…)

We’ve had it thoroughly serviced, and the engineer installed a horizontal plate above the flue exit, but this hasn’t helped. He suggests a replacement gas valve might help, but this is an expensive ‘might’, whilst another engineer has said this is normal for these boilers as they age and there’s not a lot you can do about it.

Apparently a flue extension would only have been possible at the time the boiler was installed…

Is there any reason I can’t put a deflector plate directly across the flue, 30 or 40 cm away? I would think this would break the direction of the plume and stop it heading straight in to the neighbour’s window. Or could I construct a stainless steel ‘chimney’ over the whole thing to force the gases up/down? Or do you think the replacement gas valve would work?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Any pics of the flue system

Also I can’t see how it’s going to be that much gas coming out the flue to cause an issue due to safety features etc

Hi there Plumbers Forum,

I have a problem with a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 and am looking for any helpful advice…

The boiler is 15 years old and, according to most, will happily go on another 15. The flue exits in to the side-return area between 2 terraced houses. BUT it now puts out a puff of unburnt gas every time it ignites, and we have new neighbours who are complaining that the gas goes in their bedroom window, only a couple of metres away, and makes them feel ill (the boiler doesn’t run at night but they work odd shifts…)

We’ve had it thoroughly serviced, and the engineer installed a horizontal plate above the flue exit, but this hasn’t helped. He suggests a replacement gas valve might help, but this is an expensive ‘might’, whilst another engineer has said this is normal for these boilers as they age and there’s not a lot you can do about it.

Apparently a flue extension would only have been possible at the time the boiler was installed…

Is there any reason I can’t put a deflector plate directly across the flue, 30 or 40 cm away? I would think this would break the direction of the plume and stop it heading straight in to the neighbour’s window. Or could I construct a stainless steel ‘chimney’ over the whole thing to force the gases up/down? Or do you think the replacement gas valve would work?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Hello Flip,

From your description it seems obvious that the Gas Control Valve is letting too much Gas out before it is ignited.

However enough Gas to be actually smelled externally / inside another property [!] being expelled from the Flue I find worrying.

Imagine that the Gas Valve for some reason is letting out Gas to the Main Burner for just a couple of seconds before it is ignited and that unburnt Gas is ejected from the Boiler Flue for also only a couple of seconds - unless people are adjacent to the Flue how could that very small amount of Gas be smelled ?

The information that this unburnt Gas actually drifts a couple of Metres away and into another property`s window where the occupiers can smell it seems impossible unless there is much more than a very small amount of Gas being let out by the Gas Valve.

And if that is the case [a large amount of unburnt Gas exiting the Boiler Flue] why is there not an `Explosive Ignition` big enough to destroy the Boiler Heat Exchanger / Boiler Case when ignition does occur ?

A large amount of Gas being ignited within the Boiler would definitely cause damage because the volume of exploding Gas cannot escape through the Flue before it pressurises the Combustion Chamber / Boiler Casing.

It might be worth telephoning the Baxi Technical Helpline just to see their reaction.

However with almost every Boiler Manufacturer they may refuse to comment apart from advising You to engage a Gas Safe registered Engineer to look into this.

I would tell them that You have done this and have been advised by the Gas Engineer that the Gas Control Valve needs to be changed but you are just looking for another `Expert Opinion` from Baxi Technical.

Good Luck in sorting this out.

Chris

Many thanks for your replies so far. I did try phoning Baxi and they won't talk to me. Here's a couple of piccies (not very bright 'cos it was raining this morning!). The first shows the outlet with its 'deflector' over the top. The second shows the outlet in the lower left with the neighbour's window in the upper right. If I hold my hand up when the boiler is on, I can feel the plume rising and it clears the top of the small fence on the dividing wall, so presumably keeps on rising up to their window.
I feel that if I could block the plume it wouldn't rise directly towards their window and allow the gas to disperse... Possibly just a higher fence panel in that position might work...?
Flue_1.jpg
Flue_2.jpg

tbh i dont think you will win

and when your changing your boiler your going to have problems with the flue position

Reply to Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 plume smells of unburnt gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock