Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone know if this type of valve already exists and where I can buy one? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi,

I'm still abroad and slightly bored.

My father waters the plants on his balcony using plastic bottles. Refilling them from the kitchen tap is time-consuming and laborious and 16 bottles take up a fair bit of floor space. It has occurred to me that if there were, say, 2-4 bottles filled from flexible hoses from a cistern (bucket) placed on a shelf, a cylindrical miniature low pressure and low flow float valve could be inserted into each bottle and refilling would be as quick as decanting a pail of water into the cistern.

When you took a full bottle, you would bung the miniature float valve into another bottle and it would fill as you used the previous bottle. I expect the float could be weighted to keep it submerged.

The main thing preventing me from doing this is I do not have the miniature float valves I have just invented, but I expect someone else has already made them and they can be sourced... any ideas?

Tiny FOV.png

Can’t you just fit a garden tap under sink, and then a hose to connect?
LCS pipework buried in walls... Could tee off where the flexi emerges, but you've then got a hose running through the lounge and I can't see that being permitted. Good idea otherwise!
[automerge]1596272548[/automerge]
Use a micro drip irrigation system, no need for bottles or buckets at all.
Too technical for my father (and for me, probably) as the growing season here is about 3 months and then everything needs to go indoors before it freezes. Plus you lose the advantage of storing the water before use thus giving it opportunity to warm to ambient temperature in the summer.

More practically, doesn't that require a mains connection, which the balcony doesn't have? Getting mains to the balcony would be a difficult undertaking even if I were in the UK with my tools, which I'm not, which is why I was looking for a 'cheap and dirty' solution.

Last edited:
If you're filling from a cistern or tank, can you not just install a ball valve to open and shut the flow of water?
I see your point Oz. My thought is, however, that the flow will be very slow. Perhaps half a litre a minute. So if you have to have manual valves on each bottle, you may as well walk back and forth to the kitchen to fill the bottles rather than stand there to watch the bottles refill.

Had a little more thought on this (my mind tends to drift) any of these any good? Bottom one seems best to me.

The first one is no good for the purpose. The other too merit further consideration, though I need to work out exactly how they work before thinking of making an order. Thanks mate!

Reply to Anyone know if this type of valve already exists and where I can buy one? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock