Search the forum,

Discuss any help im confused in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

ndwhite

hi everyone and sorry if this has already been discussed just i couldnt find any post about this really. im starting a plumbing course in a couple of weeks time at my local college. its an evening class and when i applied for this i was on the understanding that the course i was goiong for was the 6129 which takes 2 years. i have now been told by the college that this course cant be done now. they said that im doing a peo level 1 which is a year course 2 nights a week. after completing this ihave to get a job which allows me to take day release to go to college to then go for my 6129. is this right? i have no plumbing experience what so ever just looking for a career change, so confusing. any info and help be great. thanks in advance

no worng, the 6129 is a tec cert and should have been stopped this year but it has been extended so still available for 1 year.
if you do a peo level 1 and get a job then u can go onto level diploma in plumb but if no job you cannot do the 6129 becuase it will no longer exist, any other questions?

whats the diploma? surely no one will employ me until i have some experience. i.e the level 1 peo. i chose the night course as i dont think i can afford to live on apprentice wages as im 27 and have a house, car and bills to pay. any companies that take on people like me

the diploma is the new name for the new qualification. it is replacing the nvq although they may also keep the nvq name in there somehow.
yes this may see the end of short courses as you must be employed to take the qual unless they revise it because of opposition.
they aim to replace the full time courses with a pre apprenticeship summitskills level 1 in building servcies, that includes elec, pipe fitting, plumbing and refridgeration. i think its a good idea, many people can do a level 1 multi skill and then apply for apprenticeships in either of the 4 trades, if plumb is doing nothing they have another 3 to go for. 3 of the units you sit can be used against either of the bew diplomas meaning you havnt wasted time

i think i get it. so is a peo level one a good place to start and where would i go from there. sorry about all the questions

no problem mate, yeh a peo is a good starter course but its only that im afriad. i like people who are prepared to start at the correct level and work their way to were they wanna go.
if you dont get on a tc2 this year your only option is to get a job if u wanna be a plumber.
other options are professional studies like a national certificate in building studies or building services, thats for design engineers though, you wanna work on the tools?

thanks for your time. i think i will continue with the peo and have chat with the tutor to see what they say. in the mean time i think i will start emailing and talking to some companies and see if they will take me on.

yes continue with your peo, it proves you can dedicate yourself to a course of study, thats makes you more credible as a prospective apprentice. that said there will be many more in the same position, i wish you well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any help im confused in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock