Search the forum,

Discuss Accepting debit/credit card payments in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, my work is changing to more call outs and servicing. I'm therefore looking into getting my customers to pay with their debit card. I know it's a matter of time before I get a rubber cheque!

Have any of you guys got a mobile card reader machine? I've looked into it with Streamline but they want so much info it's a major hassle. I see that there is actually an application for the iPhone (not that I own an iPhone) but that would be an option. I just don't think customers would feel comfortable putting their card details onto my mobile phone!!

Its a dull subject, but something we'll all need to consider as the humble cheque is to be phased out in the next 8 years anyway.

Like I say, if you have a set up, please give me some feedback. Thanks,

Danny

Join the FSB.. federation of small businesses and the apply for there card machine its a lot cheaper than streamline.

Eco

I took a look, it'll cost me £150 just to join them so any savings are likely to be negligable.

The iPhone app is looking like a possibility, I just have to see if it works in the UK or just the US. I'm not sure people will be comfortable paying that way but it would at least be an option without it costing me yet more money. All I do is seem to find new ways to spend money in order to make a bit!!

Doing a £500 course on air/ground source pumps on Monday/tuesday. How long till that pays for itself? So can't really afford a lot to get my card machine at the moment.

If anyone else has managed to do it with minimal layout and hassle, please let me know. Would be very, very handy!

Thanks.

How about the old fashioned carbon paper swipe machine, I was a a country show. A few weeks ago a guys hand held reader stopped working so he for out the old paper one worked a treat and noone minded

Join the FSB.. federation of small businesses and the apply for there card machine its a lot cheaper than streamline.

Eco

i could be wrong but its still streamline who supply the card machine just at a discounted rate for fsb members

Streamline want to know everything from trouser size to your first girlfriends address....it's a ridiculous amount of hassle to get something very simple. I may have to bite the bullet and give them what they want. It will probably take me all day though. Just leaving for work, but thanks for the answers guys. I don't think there is a quick fix to this question.

I'll update with the iPhone app, as I'm going into the Apple shop today to ask about it. Could be handy for lots of us to be able to take card payments with a smartphone and not have the hassle of setting up a merchant account.

Hey Danny forget a card machine. I use www.voice-pay.com essentially sign up with them and you can use your laptop to process card payments. You have to have a wireless dongle or be able to tether your mobile phone to your laptop for an internet connection. I set up an account with them and it was active within 24 hours. They take like 2 weeks to put the money into your account put the money is always there with out fail. I think they charge 40p for a debit card no matter the value of the transaction or they charge 2.5% for a credit card. i always tell the customer I have to add the credit card surcharge to the bill then they always pay with cash or debit card. I think if you have an iphone you don't even need a laptop you can just use an app. I don't take cheques at all now. hope this helps mate. Oh by the way set up is free and there is no contract. The guy who set up voice pay actually started World pay then sold it for squillions to the royal bank of scotland so they are a reputable bunch.

Paulplumb you're a genius and I love you! LOL!

Thankyou mate, I spent hours trying to get the info you have just given me. This is why this forum is so great. People genuinely help here.

I'll sort that tomorrow. Sounds perfect.

Hmmmm. Setting up is fun not. I won't let me count to 10, always cuts me off and says I'm counting too fast, no matter how slow I speak. Frustrating!

Paul, I take it you had no probs setting it up?

haha sounds like you are trying to do the transactions using your voice on the phone? I have never tried that. I use the virtual terminal. You manually enter the card details and address with the keyboard in virtual terminal on the voice pay website. if you goto www.voice-pay.com and log in then select virtual terminal from the tranactions menu enter the details click next then confirm and click again to take the payment. Did you register an email address with them? You may have to ask them for your password, I seem to remember they forgot to send mine. They are a friendly bunch. If you get stuck give them a bell tommorow. If I can be of anymore help let me know.

Ah, I was trying to use the voice thing, I don't seem to have the ability to select 'virtual terminal' but I'll give them a call tomorrow lunchtime, before I start hassling you!! Cheers again.

Check these guys out you can do it on a normal smart phone like mine it is just a samsung simplistic one.
[DLMURL="http://www.adelante.co.uk/mobilepos.html"]MobilePOS mobile phone based credit card payments system[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you use that service john? are your customers ok with it? i would probably wouldn't do it myself if someone asked me to enter my details onto there phone.

I'm trying to set up the voice pay thing. Its taking a while as the link takes you through to the incorrect part of the website. So I created a voice signiture, but now I'm trying to open a merchant account. It's taking a while.

I would be interested to know if the Mobile POS works.

Finally there is an application in the US where your iPhone slides into a card reader (imagine a docking station type thing) you then have a proper mobile POS machine. The app that runs it isn't that expensive, I've called Apple to find out if the app exists here, and lets just say they're not helpful!

No mate I was toying with the idea may do it in the new year , see how much the taxman gets. Though i always prefer getting paid in cash. I would prefer it to a check anyday.

Who doesn't like cash!?

Well cheers John for the advise anyway. I'll post an update giving people advise once I have something set up for card payments. I'm still in the middle of trying to set up the merchant account with the voice pay guys that Paul suggested I use.

Like I say, I'll post an update. Off to hit the sack now.

Give us a call Monday Danny. I had it set up automatically and so did a friend I recommended it too. I'll give em a call after we speak. You might have found a muppet in the system :)

Ha ha quite right , how many customers say " is cash ok?" always makes me chuckle.

Ha ha quite right , how many customers say " is cash ok?" always makes me chuckle.

In a perfect world we'd all be paid in cash. There is a very simple way of taking card payments. All you need is a Paypal business account. Contact them for more info.

I offer my bank account details so I can be paid via internet banking which costs no money.

Unfortunately, most people still don't trust internet banking.

:(

The trouble with Paypal system3 is the charges for their service. Having said that it is easy to use.

Hi Once the facility is available to you.The power it has in finding work can be great especially call out work. The credit card logo's included in ads generates this. As a lot of people are on the floor at the moment and the instant credit they offers allow plumbing faults to be mended, within their meger budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Accepting debit/credit card payments in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock