Search the forum,

Discuss 3 way valve installation positioning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, does a 3 way valve need to be in an upright position or is any angle ok?

The reason why I ask is that we seem to get through a large number of these valves and ours is installed at a 45deg angle and I am wondering if this could be a problem as the motor is always roasting hot.

Thanks, Daniel.

Sounds like the valve is being held open for excessive periods of time which they aren't designed to do. You've either got a wiring issue or the valve is wrong for the system. I've had it before with Vaillant wiring centres end up holding the valve open and causes them to burn out.

Sounds like the valve is being held open for excessive periods of time which they aren't designed to do. You've either got a wiring issue or the valve is wrong for the system. I've had it before with Vaillant wiring centres end up holding the valve open and causes them to burn out.

Well we do have hard water but how can I check if the wiring is a problem?

Also, thinking about the hard water problem, could it be that the valve itself is all limescaled up and the motor is trying to open it and it wont go because of the limescale?

Well we do have hard water but how can I check if the wiring is a problem?

Also, thinking about the hard water problem, could it be that the valve itself is all limescaled up and the motor is trying to open it and it wont go because of the limescale?

Easiest way to tell if the back is causing the issue is remove the head from the valve. If you can move the pin with your fingers easily and freely then it's probably not causing the issue.

In terms of telling if it's a wiring issue you need to get someone in to check it. An easy way to tell would be once everything has gone off at night/morning, a few hours afterwards if the valve is still red hot then something isn't right.

I just wanted to come back to this thread to give a final answer / solution to this problem. I needed to rearrange some pipework and in doing so I decided to move the 3 way to a horizontal position but more importantly to a place I could easily get to it instead of the difficult position it was in. I also changed the valve itself for a new one.

Doing this work did cure the problem and it seems that it is most likely that it was the valve that was the problem and I guess it has enough limescale around the workings that it was cooking the 3 way motor when it was trying to get to a position.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Daniel.

Reply to 3 way valve installation positioning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to turn off 1, 2 & 3. However as you can see I can't turn anything off between the valve and the hot water tank. If I use a bung in the header tank, will...
Replies
Views
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit when not in use which is 90% of the time, can I put a 3 zone valve on the flow after the tenth rad and divert to a new T piece on the return to...
Replies
Views
W
Hello all. I have fitted three new Saracen timed flow valves to existing shower rooms. But these valves are still allowing water to flow from shower head and won't close off. I have tried various options and sorted other connections in the shower lines 5 on one line 3 on other. Only 1 new...
Replies
Views
I have an old Potterton suprima boiler with a hot water tank and pump. We have hot water but no heating, the light on the boiler is showing amber (no call to heat) I have been told that this is likely due to the 3 way valve or motor on it (Myson Power Extra). I am wondering whether to try and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock